Mt. Clark's Northwest Ridge

I have always wanted to get into the Sierra's and go climb some bigger mountains, so when my friend Eric from Peaks for Freaks invited me to go on a climb with one of his partners Mason, I was all in.

Mt. Clark's Northwest Ridge on a single day attempt in Yosemite National Park.


Originally, the three of us were set on doing an easier fourteen mile traverse in Eldorado National Forest near Carson Pass. We planned on heading out Friday (5/11/18) evening and camping at the beginning of our route. Friday morning, Eric messaged me that conditions had changed and that we would be going to Mt. Clark instead. With a busy school day ahead of me, I skimmed the messages, saw Mt. Clark, same departure time, blah blah blah. Alright Eric I trust you, I'm in. About fifteen minutes before departure, Eric sends me the topo. In my rush to get going, I do not even look at it and hop in the car to go get him.

Here are the (very) important details that I missed:
Total Distance: 25 miles
Total Gain: 8,000 feet
Max Elevation:  11,519 feet
Summit Block: 3/4+ class terrain
Topo

Some information about me. I had never been above 9,200 feet, the most gain I had done in a day is 7,000 feet (at sea level) and this climb was two weeks after my first marathon. I was in for an epic.

We began our trip at Happy Isles trailhead around 5:00 am heading up the Mist Trail. We made our way past Vernal and Nevada Falls, only passing a few groups of people. Eventually we made it to the beautiful Little Yosemite Valley where we were welcomed by some flatter sections.

Eventually the trail began to climb up. At 9:15 am after quite a few switchbacks we took a break in preparation for some cross country hiking. When I was told we were 8 miles in and not very close to the real climbing yet, I figured out it was going to be a huge day.

We took a right off trail up some gentle slabs. Avoid the steeper ones east of Bunnell Point, they are a little more challenging and annoying to find your way up and/or down. Following those for about 50 yards, Eric directed us right into the brush. It slowly got steeper and steeper until we reached another class two slab. Both Mason and Eric continued at an amazing pace and this is when I started to slow down. Eventually we made it to the saddle between Bunnell Point and the ridge where I took a nice little break.

After about fifteen minutes, we continued our ascent up the ridge. Eventually we were forced to cross a boulder field which was immediately followed by snow!
The boulder field and a little bit of snow

Kicking steps up the snowfield.
More trudging with Half Dome in the background

 As we gained in elevation, all of our paces collectively slowed, with me dragging farther and farther behind Mason and Eric. Those two are absolute beasts. By 12:45pm we finally hit the ridge. We dawned crampons and continued on some easy class 2 terrain.
Moving along the ridge

We followed the ridge for a little but soon realized that dropping onto the western portion of the ridge would give us better snow and easier scrambling.
All three of us moved down the ridge and continued our traverse.

Eric moving up along the ridge
Mason cruising slightly below the ridge line.

As we moved forward, dark storm clouds began to form towards the west. At 3:30pm we decided to bail and began our descent. This is where it went downhill in all ways for me. I was extremely tired with sore feet. We ever so slowly began post holing our way down.
Our highest point. Mt. Clark is a little ways around the corner. Around 10,500 feet

We followed our same route back, through the snowfield with a little bit of boulder hopping.

Making my way down the ridge.

Mason crossing the boulder field.

Finally we got to the saddle between the ridge and Bunnell Point. My feet were extremely sore and I was physically and mentally dead. Eric and Mason tagged Burnell Point while I lay with the packs taking a well needed nap. When I woke up, it had been fifteen minutes and it had begun snowing. From there Mason, Eric and I began the ten mile grueling descent back to the car.

We descended some steep slabs back to the trail which we would take back. Blisters on the bottom of both of my feet made progress slow but we got back eventually. Absolutely one of the most gruelingly painful experiences I have ever had.  I can not confirm nor deny whether tears were shed or if those tears were mine. We made it back to the car by 11:00pm. Worst part was Mason had moved ahead to get to the car first but Eric and I had forgotten where we parked. We walked around a dark Yosemite Valley aimlessly for a while until we finally found him.

I'm still up in the air about this trip. I would say until we began our descent I was having an amazing time. I did not have any symptoms of altitude sickness and although I was definitely hindering progress of the team, it was great fun. The descent was absolutely terrible though, definitely type three fun, or type four if that exists.

Overall I'll definitely be back to the Sierra's, just maybe not on something that epic.

5/12/18

Comments

Popular Posts